Tuesday 6 October 2009

Two illustrations about killing



The first is a parody of the famous 'Home taping is killing music' from the 70's, but updated for the new century. I thought that a Banksy graffiti stencil style would be apt, interesting and challenging to me.
But it was important that a hand done look was achieved. So instead of doing it all digitally, which would have been possible - I cut out my own stencil and spray painted it, overlaying it on a photo of the wall in my back yard. The final touch of a blood splatter finished it off.
The second was about the 'death' of a limited edition Jimmi Hendrix guitar before production had even begun. It was a brilliant idea by the guys at Guitarist - of a crime scene. But they thought that the grave element was a bit too much. So I went out and took a photo of some flagstones - which I actually ended up preferring - as it's a simpler design.
What I love about having a regular column is having the freedom to answer the brief in whatever medium I choose or combination of. Bringing in more of my photography into the work is really satisfying and adds that further string to my bow.
Sometimes, I am concerned about having such disparate 'styles', as all the most successful illustrator's have a distinct idiosyncratic style.
But doing it differently each time keeps it fresh and interesting to me. In a way it reminds me of the Btec/Foundation course I did in my youth - where in the morning it would be printmaking, afternoon painting etc.
At the end of the day, it's the communication of the idea that counts more than the medium anyway.

No comments: