Monday 12 January 2009

The Eligible Bachelor



Flicking around the TV channels yesterday I came across 'The Eligible Bachelor' a film made by Granada in 1992. It was the first job I had after leaving Manchester Metropolitan University. I had to draw the images Sherlock Holmes saw in a dream and had scribbled down. (They had to be purposively 'scruffy'.) It was very exciting going to see the actors rehearse and take photos of the late Jeremy Brett, I remember him saying "the eyes need to be black darling like yours, very black." It was all very 'actor' like. Brett was widely considered to be the definitive Holmes of his era. I didn't know it at the time but he had been hospitalized for much of the last decade of his life suffering from bipolar disorder .This film was sadly the last they made before his death in 1995.
I remember the joy of clearing my student overdraft with that first and in some ways most exciting of jobs.

No comments: